TCM & CoTC Cover

What is TCM or CoTC cover and why do I need it?

Under the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations licensed environmental waste permits state that the operator shall comply with the requirements of an approved technical competence scheme such as the CIWM / WAMITAB scheme that has been jointly developed by the Chartered Institution of Wastes Management and the Waste Management Industry Training and Advisory Board (WAMITAB). 

Anyone who makes a permit application or currently operates a waste management facility will be assessed by the Environment Agency for the requirement of having in place a Technically Competent Manager to fulfil the legal requirements of the environmental permit or waste management license that they are operating. 

The role of the Technically Competent Manager (TCM) is to make sure that the permitted site is adhering to all requirements of the permit and to the site Management System, this in turn makes sure that the site is being operated legally. The TCM will be in possession of a Certificate of Technical Competence (CoTC) demonstrating that they have gained primary and continuing competence under the CIWM/WAMITAB approval scheme. 

TRG Environmental hold all of the required certificates and provide freelance TCM solutions to the waste and recycling industry ensuring you meet your permit requirements for TCM cover for your site. We can provide both short term and long-term engagements, holiday cover or temporary cover while staff are training for their own WAMITAB qualification. 

How often does the TCM have to be on site for?

The Environment Agency states that TCM requires to be on site for 20% of the total operation hours of that site, this includes standard rules permits and tier 2 permits for waste operations. An operational site is one that is accepting or removing waste or undertaking any process involving waste. If your permit has an Operator Risk Assessment (OPRA) based charge then you will need to work out attendance requirements and confirm these with the Environment Agency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Only if you or an employee is in possession of a Certificate of Technical Competence (CoTC) that demonstrates achievement of primary and secondary continuing competence.

Yes. You are breaking the law by breeching the legal requirements of your permit under the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations under U.K. law.

Yes. The fines imposed do not have a upper limit. If you are further being prosecuted because of an environmental incident the judge may decide that imprisonment is a option.

We will audit your site for compliance each week when we attend the site. You are the site operator it is up to you to listen to our advice and keep the site compliant.

No the audit reports we give you are strictly confidential, we will only talk to the EA if required to law.

No. We are onsite to advise you on compliance issues we are not employees and our insurance does not cover us for driving or operating your machinery.

No. But we can put you in touch with the right people who can, we can for an extra fee provide mentoring and write management systems if required.

You are paying for the use of our TCM license over your full operating hours so that your site can remain open and operating without prosecution.

Apply for a quote

We are happy to offer a no obligation quote within 24 hours if you answer a few questions.

Still not covered? Get a quote!